Many people don’t realize integrating chiropractic care into their holistic healthcare practices can help with more than just back pain. Chiropractic care focuses on the spine, and the spine controls everything in your body. If there is a subluxation in your spine, it may be the cause of (or at least not helping!) cardiovascular disease, heart disease, and other medical issues that are seemingly unrelated to the spine. Here are six proven ways chiropractic adjustments can be a valuable holistic heart care tool to help prevent or treat cardiovascular disease and improve health regarding congestive heart failure.
1. Many Americans suffer from chronically high blood pressure, one of the most telling signs of heart health. Studies demonstrate that chiropractic care is correlated with an improvement in blood pressure when chiropractors adjust the 1st vertebra, known as the atlas. When reading blood pressure, the top number is called the systolic and the bottom blood pressure number is the diastolic. Evidence points to a 17/10 reduction in blood pressure following atlas adjustment.
2. Holistic chiropractic increases heart health by improving the nerve function of the heart. The activity rate of the autonomic system is called the autonomic tone. It impacts the heart, lungs, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, bladder, sex organs, and just about every other part of the body. Holistic heart care means looking at the big picture and finding the root causes of interconnected ailments.
3. Routine chiropractic care also improves heart health by decreasing blood markers of inflammation. The more your body experiences chronic inflammation, the greater your risk of cardiovascular events. Lowering chronic inflammation is a key element of holistic heart care, and a focus of our chiropractic practices.
4. General chiropractic care improves heart rate variability. Your heart’s ability to adapt to various degrees of effort is documented via the variability of your heart rate from beat to beat.This is called heart rate variability (HRV). Many patients with severe heart issues have low HRV.
5. Holistic chiropractic adjustment decreases chest pain. Many patients who enter a hospital for chest pain do not need the “million dollar work-up.” Once the heart is determined to be ok, many just need a chiropractic adjustment. Costochondritis, rib misalignment, or thoracic vertebrae subluxation are all causes of chest pain and shortness of breath that will respond to chiropractic care. Remember that there are holistic alternatives to traditional heart care, providing more answers and more results.
6. Routine chiropractic care improves lung function and cardiovascular ability: The evidence points to chiropractic care as very effective in patients with asthma and emphysema. Poor lung function is linked to heart failure. Yes, even healthy lungs are a part of holistic heart care.
Chiropractic care is more than just “cracking” joints. At AFC, our goal is to use chiropractic care to help as many people as possible get off medication, avoid surgery, and restore their health so they not only feel better, but function normally too. Rather than accept the doctor’s prognosis, find new vitality through chiropractic holistic heart care. Request an appointment here to see how AFC can keep your heart and body healthy!