A healthy spine leads to a healthy life. It's important to be kind to your spine—especially since October is National Chiropractic Month.
Chiropractic care is part of a healthy lifestyle. Correcting and maintaining proper alignment improves our health overall! There are also other simple tips to help keep your spine healthy:
1. Posture is key. When standing, remember to keep your shoulders back, head back, and knees slightly bent. If you're sitting, sit up (no slouching), shoulders relaxed, and both feet on the ground. Posture correcting tools or chairs may be helpful to stay in proper sitting position. Maintaining good posture helps us keep bones and joints in correct alignment and decrease any abnormal wear-and-tear of our joints.
2. Stretch, stretch, stretch! We'll say it one more time: stretch! Stretching keeps our muscles flexible, healthy, and strong. We need flexibility to move, or our muscles become tight. Be sure to include at least five minutes of stretching before and after your workouts. Stretching is helpful for reducing pain too, so stretch away!
3. Lead a healthy lifestyle. Exercise and good nutrition are essential to a healthy spine—and a healthy life. Staying active and eating nutritious foods fuels our bodies with the right nutrients to keep us going.
4. Build up your core strength. To better support your back, it's important to build up your core muscles, which are your lower back and abdominal muscles. The support of a strong core helps your spine stay healthy and take pressure off your lower back.
5. Listen to your body. It's hard to believe, but pain isn't normal—especially back pain. Pain is your body's way of telling you that something isn't right, and the problem needs to be fixed. Most of us simply deal with it, hoping that the pain goes away on its own, but we all know that simply isn't the case. Listen to your body for any warning signs of pain, discomfort, or sickness and get that checked out right away.
Be sure to follow these tips for a healthy spine, and ultimately a healthy you! If pain persists, our team is here to help you get back to optimal health. Find more information about our 7 valley-wide clinic locations and services.